An acronym for 'Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics,' CEREC is a computer-aided design and manufacturing system used by dentists. CEREC is a ceramic reconstruction process for manufacturing dental prostheses and involves a digital scan of the affected tooth, a 3D restoration design, and ceramic restoration fabrication. One of the major advantages of CEREC is that the entire process is performed in a single dental visit. CEREC thus helps manufacture dental prostheses like crowns, inlays/onlays, and veneers and is fitted on the same day.
What is CEREC?
An important tool in advanced dentistry, CEREC eliminates the need for time-consuming processes usually involved in manufacturing dental prosthetics - sending the tooth mold to a lab and waiting to get the crown made. With CEREC, you will get the crowns fitted in a single day. The CEREC is, thus, a safe, quick, and efficient way to restore your teeth. The three common treatments where CEREC helps are crowns, veneers, and onlays.
CEREC process uses CAD/CAM, computer-aided design, and computer-aided manufacturing technology, which has a camera, computer, and milling machine in one device. During the initial consultation, an accurate image of the damaged tooth is captured using a special camera which is then transferred and displayed on a color computer screen. With this optical image as the reference, using CAD technology, the restoration crown is designed by the dentist. The CEREC machine manufactures the ceramic crown as per your tooth's shape and specifications. As the last step, the crown is polished and fixed inside your mouth.
Benefits offered by CEREC
- Unlike traditional crowns that is a lengthy process, crowns using CEREC take just a few hours to complete. There is no waiting period involved, and the entire process is finished in one day, right from the impressions, preparation, and fitting of the device.
- CEREC technology is fast, simple, time-saving, and less expensive compared to the traditional crowns.
- CEREC allows dental procedures like placement of crowns to be done in just one visit to the dentist.
- The restorations are of high quality and can last longer.
- Since the CEREC crowns are made of ceramics, you don't need to be conscious about being allergic to any metal.
- Since the same-day crowns are made from tooth-colored materials, it doesn't affect the beauty of your smile.
- CEREC technology ensures that the crown is fabricated as per the exact size, shape, and color you need. Thanks to the specific and precise details obtained with CEREC, there is no chance for mistakes as the digital images contain specific and precise details for the crown preparation.
- With same-day crowns, the need for the drilling of teeth is very minimal, and very little enamel is removed from the tooth.
- For traditional crowns, a waiting period is involved in getting the crowns manufactured in dental labs. But, with CEREC, there is no involvement of labs as the crowns are fabricated in-office milling machines in under an hour. The restoration can be bonded to your tooth as soon as it is ready.
- Since crowns are manufactured on the same day, the need for a temporary crown is eliminated.
Call us or schedule an online appointment to know more about CEREC Same Day Crowns.